- Austin Adams, 17, suffered a litany of injuries when a VGOD vape pen blew up in his face in March 2018, breaking his jaw and blowing out several of his teeth
- His mother Kailani Burton had recently bought him the smoking tool in a bid to ease her son’s addiction to tobacco – he hasn’t smoked since
- The surgeons had to sew Adams’ gum line back together, put plates along his jawbone and issue him temporary braces to keep his remaining teeth aligned
- Coverage of Adams’ story follows an announcement by the FDA last week regarding the finalization of new safety guidelines for e-cigarette products
A teenage boy from Nevada shattered his jaw and broke several of his teeth after his electronic cigarette exploded in his mouth, which he’d bought to help him quit smoking last year.
Austin Adams, 17, who lives in Rural Ely, was rushed to Primary Children’s Hospital, Salt Lake City – an agonizing five hour drive away – after the device blew up in his face in March 2018.
His mother Kailani Burton had recently brought him the smoking tool from a company called VGOD, in a bid to ease her son’s addiction to tobacco.
‘Austin came in with his hand up to his mouth,’ Burton, 45, recalled to NBC News of the incident. ‘He was in shock and unable to speak’.
Austin Adams, 17, suffered a litany of injuries when a VGOD vape pen blew up in his face in March 2018, breaking his jaw and blowing-out several of his teeth (pictured).
The surgeons had to sew Adam’s gum line back together, put plates along his jawbone and issue him temporary braces to keep his remaining teeth aligned. His jaw had to be wired shut for six weeks, limiting him to a diet of liquid and pureed foods.
Burton said she was forced to take her son all the way to Salt Lake City Primary, as it was the only facility that could handle his blast injury, as well as the severe burns to his mouth.
Dr. Katie Russell, one of the trauma surgeons who treated Adams, profiled the case on Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine.
The teen underwent ‘open reduction and internal fixation of the fracture, dental extraction, and debridement of devitalized tissue,’ according to Russell.
Adams’ story follows an announcement by the FDA last week regarding the finalization of new safety guidelines for manufacturers attempting to bring tobacco products – including e-cigarettes – to market.
The FDA will now require detailed information about the types of batteries developers are hoping to use, as well as safety precautions to minimize the likelihood of the product exploding, overheating, or catching fire.
She had recently brought him the smoking tool (pictured) from a company called VGOD, in a bid to ease her son’s addiction to tobacco.
According to the body, E-cigarette explosions most commonly occur when the devices’ lithium-ion battery overheats.
However, while the FDA may be issuing warning letters to manufacturers of electronic smoking products warning of marketing violations and sales to minors, they haven’t issued warnings about the potential of the batteries overheating and exploding, NBC reported.
Instead, the agency is asking companies to re-work their products to minimize the risks of injuries such as Adams’ from occurring.
‘The FDA encourages manufacturers interested in making modifications to address battery safety issues to contact the agency to discuss options on how they can do so in a timely fashion and the FDA will consider each situation on a case-by-case basis,’ a spokesman from the body said.